Tuesday, July 28, 2009

{Untitled Post}

Exactly one year ago today, I started this blog. Little did I know at that moment that not far from here an acquaintance of mine, Nathan, died in an accident. The farm implement he was operating was struck by a semi-truck. He was 16 years old. I had just finished reading the book Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris. It encourages teenagers to "rebel against low expectations" and to do hard things for the Lord and for others. Tragic as it was, Nathan's death has brought several of his friends to the Lord; and, I am sure, has reminded many young people that knew him to "[l]et no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." [1 Timothy 4:12 (KJV)] In other words, to "do hard things".

~ ~ ~

Since today is the "anniversary" of this blog, I'd like to know who reads it. :-) So... get a pencil and paper and write down the first answer that comes to your mind for the following question: Is it best to have a background in studio photography to do hard things?

Now please post a comment with your name and the answer you wrote down. Thank you!

I'll start:
Johan
Hmm...I don't think so. *

~ ~ ~

Do you realize that the question is only half a question? <;-) To see the rest, highlight the text from "Is it" to the "?" with your mouse. Now you see the whole question... BUT, if you have not commented yet, please comment with your name and your original answer. Thank you!
Looking forward to another year of blogging,
Johan

* Using my studio equipment to photograph a ton of families for my church directory was out of my comfort zone, but through doing it, I have gained some experience and confidence that will be applicable if the Lord leads me to pursue photography as a profession. :-) How about you?

2 comments:

Rodger said...

I would tend to think that it is better. In studio photography, you would learn all about light. How to take "correctly" lit pictures, but you would also be able to apply that knowledge to making edgy non standard pictures.

Look forward to reading more of your posts!

Philip the Organist said...

Hey Johan, it's Philip from the Organ Forum. I don't know much about the Rebolution movement but from what I have heard it is really motivating young people to serve the Lord. One thing with activism though is to never let changing society become an end to itself. We are called to share Christ's love by preaching the gospel to everyone, and if we spend more time protesting and organizing mass mailings and tea parties than we do in evangelising, we will be in error. Just my $0.02 on the whole teen mobilization movement.

So, "Is it best to have a background in studio photography to do hard things?" IMHO it would depend on what God has called you to. If you are called to be a minister or a missionary, then perhps not. But if ou are called to photography, then I would have to say 'yes.' I can't say anything about education with full assurance yet, because I'm still in high(home) school, but I personally think that excellence in what we do is very important. The same God who wants us to do hard things does all things well, and we would be dishonoring Him to do His work in a less-than-good way. That's why I want to get the best musical education I can, and practice hard, as God has called me to music. The best way to get good at something isn't neccessarily a college degree but I think to become a good musician I would need to spend at least 4 years developing my skills and get intensive training for what God wants me to do.
PF