Monday, December 6, 2010

Canon 100mm Macro Tripod Ring

Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro USM
Used on a tripod for close-up photography, macro lenses like the Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro USM can be difficult to use when switching from horizontal to vertical, since the whole camera becomes offset. The solution is a tripod ring. For the 100/2.8 Macro, the appropriate Canon Tripod Mount Ring B (B) is priced at ~$140.

Recently I learned that the Canon Tripod Mount Ring B (B) is identical to the one used on several other Canon lenses, including my 70-200/2.8L. However, the 100mm lens requires a small adapter to fit in the tripod mount.

Enter the Canon parts department. With a quick phone call and twenty-six dollars I ordered the adapter, which is part # YG2-0500-000.

So, if you happen to have the Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro and either the 70-200/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS, or 180/3.5L Macro, I highly recommend purchasing this adapter.

Please note: there are two versions of the Tripod Mount Ring B: (W) and (B), which are, respectively, white and black. Functionally they are identical. The newer Canon 100/2.8L Macro IS requires the Tripod Mount Ring D.
Canon EF 70-200/2.8L USM

4 comments:

Michael said...

What tripod do you have?

I'm looking at getting the Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 496RC2 ball head.

Johan said...

Hello Michael, Thanks for the comment!

I own the Manfrotto 055XPROB and the Induro CT-114. The Manfrotto is taller, but the Induro is lighter and carbon-fiber, so it gets used most of the time. Regarding heads: I originally bought the (older) Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead, but it wasn't powerful enough, so I replaced it with the Giottos MH1300.

Keep in mind that the 055XPROB is large and heavy. My Induro fits easily in my carryon roller bag, so if you do a lot of travel, it gets my recommendation.

Michael said...

I am 6' 4", so am wanting as much height as I can get, and weight doesn't really matter that much to me.

I am shooting a 40D (gripped) with a 70-200 f/2.8L, and with my flash and bracket, it weighs in at about 7.5 lbs. Do you think that the 496RC2 would hold it?

Thanks for your input!

Johan said...

Michael, at 6'4", the 055XPROB will be perfect. You may have to extend the center column a few inches, but not much.

With the gripped 40D + 70-200L + Flash, the 496RC2 will probably be underpowered. The main problem I had with my 489RC2, is it would flop forward slightly after I released the camera. It didn't have enough power to hold the camera in position. Thus, I had to set the camera for a position slightly higher than I wanted it, and it would flop forward. It doesn't sound like a terrible problem, but it was very annoying. Although a head like the Giottos MH1300 is twice as expensive, I think you will be much more satisfied with it in the long run. If you live in the Salem, OR, area, feel free to send me an email through my contact page, and I'll see if I can arrange to let you try out my tripod and ballhead.